Natural Resource Management
Peter R Day Resource Strategies is experienced in a wide spectrum of natural resource issues, covering soil conservation and land management, native vegetation and biodiversity, water resources and irrigation, catchment and regional planning, climate change, agriculture and industry structures.
Peter Day's experience in these topics is supported by qualifications in natural resource management, science and ecology.
Past projects include planning, program design and the development of tools for NRM practioners;
- Preparing Natural Resource Scoping Reports for Local Action Planning groups in the Lower Murray, Mt Lofty Ranges and Mallee areas of South Australia.
- Guiding the design of farm-to-catchment scale research projects for Dairy Australia.
- Documenting the environmental contributions from horticultural industries in Australia.
- Assisting in the development of a 'Sustainability Dashboard' applicable to all commodity production systems in Australia.
- Designing tools (such as P-Calc) to help assess the environmental gains from changes in farm practice, (e.g. nutrient reduction (dairy) and sediment reduction (horticulture) calculators), as part of market-based NRM programs.
- Strategic advice to Land & Water Australia for the coordination of its Sustainable Primary Industries Arena.
- Revising the Northern & Yorke Regional NRM Plan.
- Coordinating sustainable industry initiative projects (linking industry with regional NRM bodies) for Horticulture Australia Ltd.
- Constructing IMPS (Implementation Planning Support) - a planning framework to sort priorities and guide program development, for Cradle Coast NRM.
- Developing the Adaptive Climate Action Framework, combining climate projections and spatially based models of climate vulnerability (using EnSym and Netica), for the West Gippsland CMA.
- Developing a framework of Optional Elements for NRM Programs as a general planning resource, drawing on experience from working with industry and NRM bodies across Australia.